AntLab Ytong Nest Size 1 – 105mm x 95mm x 33mm
AntLab Ytong Nests are designed for the ultimate Ant Keeping experience! Meticulously designed and crafted in the UK, and now available in Australia!
Suitable for a small colony, with space for approximately 100 worker ants.
– Extra deep 14mm chambers to accommodate both large & small species, and large brood piles. A must for our large Australian species!
– Optional nest standoffs supplied, to screw into the base, allowing heat cables/heat mats to be placed underneath without direct contact, preventing nest overheating
– Special sealed exterior for excellent moisture retention
– Removable Clear Acrylic Cover, the nest can be cleaned and re-used!
– Translucent Red Acrylic Overlay, to make your nest dark whilst maintaining view of your ants
- Includes a push-fit connector for clear flexible tubing 13mm OD, 10mm ID
– Larger capacity hydration chambers, sponges removed – no more mouldy sponges! Water is drawn into the nest by both capillary action & absorption through the Ytong itself
- Hydration chambers situated on the top end of the nests, allowing for a humidity gradient to form. The ants are given the ability to effectively select where to place their brood for optimal growth. You can adjust humidity precisely by selectively hydrating the chambers as required.
- Heat treated and washed to kill any bacteria that may be living in the Ytong and to remove all dust
Why choose Ytong?
- It has desirable insulating properties and is very porous. This means that the nest will physically absorb water and higher humidity levels can be achieved inside a Ytong nest than conventional acrylic nests.
- The large surface area and texture of Ytong nests means that larvae are able to anchor themselves and spin their cocoons with less chance of failure.
- Our Ytong nests are treated in order to achieve a moisture seal around the exterior of the nest, reducing the rate of water evaporation to retain significantly higher humidity for long periods of time.
-We recommend hydrating our Ytong nests roughly once every 5-7 days, however this does depend on the species and will vary for ants which require a dryer environment and those moisture loving species.
- Ytong is naturally mould resistant meaning that you are able to keep moisture loving ants inside without the fear of mould outbreaks. This property is one which is unique to Ytong, unlike soil and plaster nests, and is what makes it such a great nesting medium for ants.